Saturday, November 5, 2011

A birthday gift to me

For as long as I can remember, I've always attended school. There is not a point in my life where I wasn't stressed about homework, classes, and teachers; until about 8 months ago. Since then, I have spent relentless hours attempting to find a hobby. Friends, family, co-workers, and strangers alike gave me their two-cents on which hobby would be the best at filling my new-found free time. But as much as I tried to find a hobby, I quickly learned that nothing feeds my soul like school did... until now. Apparently my new hobby is cooking. A few days ago, I decided to buy myself a birthday gift: some new cookbooks. Typically books are not something I'd enjoy for my birthday, but I know that they equate to good food and a happy belly, so I went ahead with the purchase anyway. Below are a few of the recipes that I found in these new books, and a few of my own in addition.

My first meal is loosely based on meals I had in Italy. The pasta was cooked as directed on the package, then cooked a few minutes more in olive oil, then sprinkled with Parmesan cheese. The salad included cherry tomatoes, mozzarella, basil, pepper, olive oil, and lemon juice. The potato recipe is listed below, although I didn't use capers in my meal.

The second meal is a leek pizza. I added more than the recipe called for, including mushrooms, and would consider adding artichokes the next time I make this recipe.

-Sarah



Pan-Fried Potatoes with Sun-Dried Tomatoes
From, "Vegetarian: Create Great-Tasting Dishes through the Seasons" by Ting Morris, Rachel Lane and Carla Bardi.
Ingredients:
1 1/2 pounds whole small new potatoes
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
Salt
6 sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained and finely chopped
1 tablespoon capers, drained
1 teaspoon dried oregano

Recipe:
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add the potatoes, and cook until almost tender, about 10 minutes (depending on their size).
Drain well and cut in half.
Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the potatoes and saute for 5 minutes.
Sprinkle with the paprika and season with salt. Add the sun-dried tomatoes and capers. Sprinkle with the oregano and saute for 1 minute more.
Serve hot.

Herbed Leek Tart
From: Better Homes and Gardens Garden Fresh Meals
Ingredients:
9 medium leeks, thinly sliced (3 cups)
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup chopped red sweet pepper
2 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
1 teaspoon dried herbes de Provence or dried basil, crushed
1 1/2 cups Gruyere cheese or Swiss chese (6 ounces)
1 15-ounce package rolled refrigerated unbaked piecrust (2 crusts)
2 tablespoons chopped almonds or walnuts

Recipe:
1. Preheat oven to 375*F. For filling, in a large skillet cook leeks and garlic in hot oil about 5 minutes until tender. Remove from heat; stir in sweet pepper, mustard, and herbes de Provence. Cool slightly; stir in shredded cheese. Set filling aside.
2. Unroll piecrust according to package directions. On a lightly floured surface, roll one piecrust into a 12-inch circle. Transfer piecrust to a baking sheet. Spread half the filling into the center of the crust, leaving a 1 1/2 inch border. Fold border up and over filling, pleating to build up a crust. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the nuts over the filling. Repeat with remaining piecrust, filling, and nuts.
3. Bake about 25 minutes or until crusts are golden. Cool for 10 minutes on baking sheets. Cut each tart into 12 wedges. Serve warm or at room temperature.

1 comment:

  1. I plant several varieties of basil in my little tub garden every year...not so much for cooking, but for grazing on as I'm outside watering.

    I love Grueyer, it's the best for fondue. The pizza sounds wonderful! I haven't used leeks in ages...fund a simple soup a few years back that used leeks, chicken, bit of rice and chicken broth...and pizza? Room temperature please!

    Cooking is fun when you have the desire and the time. Nice job Sarah!

    ReplyDelete