Monday, November 28, 2011

A is for Apron

My birthday is dia de los muertos. Growing up, I was dragged to Church to pray for dead people. After church one year, I was serenaded by a group of missionaries to "las maƱanitas." Most years, I woke up to pan de muerto for breakfast. Some may find these rituals a bit weird, but for me, it is all in celebration of my birthday. Recently, my mom made me an apron with dia de los muertos fabric. On the backside of the apron is cute paisley fabric for the rest of the year.

My mother is the Queen of sewing. I would bet all the money in the world that if you walked into her home at any given time this upcoming year, you'll find at least 3 or more sewing projects scattered around the house. There was not a time from my childhood that I can remember that my mother wasn't holding a needle and thread. Here is a link to my mom's quilt blog. When I got married and bought my own home, my mom gifted me with a sewing machine. Now, my mother and I both know that I don't use this machine. I can't even thread it. But she gave it to me none-the-less, probably hoping that one day I would plug it in and sew something. Perhaps she would even be happy if I just hemmed a hole in a shirt, or something. (I must add that for the past 5 years I've brought all clothes that needed mending to her house.)

To get into the Christmas spirit, today I decided to give sewing a try and make my own apron. Tonight, my mother met me at Jo-Ann fabrics and helped me pick out matching fabric. I guess she was pretty excited that I was finally going to sew something, because she brought me a cutting board, ruler, and a rotary cutter. The entire project took me over four hours, but don't let my mom know since it probably is supposed to be a 15 minute project. And I finally know how to thread my machine. In fact, I was so proud of myself for learning how, I used three colors of thread for my apron. The front of the apron is a fabric called "Candy Cane Dots." The back of the apron are cupcakes. While this story isn't followed with a recipe tonight, you can be assured that I will wear this apron as I cook new meals for your reading pleasure!



3 comments:

  1. I love aprons! I have two that I particularly like that have bibs on them (I can get messy when I cook), and large pockets. The pockets come in handy when I'm hanging laundry out on the line and that's where I carry the clothes pins.

    Good job! And it won't take four hours as you learn. Get this...I have a sewing machine, brand new, that I've never used. I bought it several years ago when I was crafting because I wanted to make aprons, fabric slippers...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO HAPPY and PROUD !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sooooooo proud too! I love aprons! They make me feel like a housewife from the 50's!
    @ Nini - I have a few aprons without bibs and I just tie them high around my chest cavity (right below my breasts if you must know).
    Good job Sarah!

    ReplyDelete