Thursday, May 24, 2012

Hummus

When I am feeling hungry, I absolutely love to much on hummus and pita bread. Typically I keep these items stocked in my fridge straight from the local grocery store. However, upon a recent shopping trip in which I was disappointed to find that they were sold out, I decided to try my hand at making hummus. I was pleasantly surprised. My husband said that next time I could use less garlic. I also added cayenne pepper, which was fantastic. Next time, I would add a bit less liquid so the hummus was a bit pastier and less runny.

-Sarah


Hummus
From: http://mideastfood.about.com/od/appetizerssnacks/r/hummusbitahini.htm

Ingredients:
1 (16 ounce) can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans
1/4 cup liquid from can of chickpeas
3-5 tablespoons lemon juice (depending on taste)
1 1/2 tablespoons tahini
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil

Directions:
Drain chickpeas and set aside liquid from can. Combine remaining ingredients in blender or food processor. Add 1/4 cup of liquid from chickpeas. Blend for 3-5 minutes on low until thoroughly mixed and smooth. Serve immediately with fresh, warm or toasted pita bread, or cover and refrigerate.
Variations: For a spicier hummus, add a sliced red chile or a dash of cayenne pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment